Index of personnel of the 9th Battalion, The Royal Scots 1900-1923
Follow link for pdf by surname:
Version 6, April 2020, 1659 pages total
This list of personnel has been compiled whilst researching A History of the 9th (Highlanders) Royal Scots, The Dandy Ninth (published December 2019) and forms an index of various sources. Users are in all cases directed to the source information.
The other three documents are also available on scribd
A list of some abbreviations found in this index. These are in addition to the Sources listed for the second column of the index
|2/Lt, 2nd Lt.||Second Lieutenant (rank)|
|A&SH||Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders (corps)|
|Adj||Adjutant (officer function)|
|CB||Confined to Barracks|
|comm||Commissioned (becomes an officer)|
|Cpl, Corp||Corporal (rank)|
|Cpt, Capt||Captain (rank)|
|CS||Colour Sergeant (rank)|
|CSM||Company Sergeant Major (rank)|
|d.||Died or Daughter of|
|DOW||Died of Wounds, or Duration of War|
|DSO||Distinguished Service Order (medal)|
|e.||Enlisted or Educated|
|EED||Edinburgh Evening Dispatch|
|EEN||Edinburgh Evening News|
|F&F||France & Flanders|
|GH||Gordon Highlanders (corps)|
|GSW||Gun Shot Wound|
|GWF||Great War Forum|
|HLI||Highland Light Infantry (corps)|
|IWM||Imperial War Museum|
|KIA||Killed in Action|
|KOSB||King’s Own Scottish Borderers (corps)|
|L/||Lance (rank) i.e. Lance-Corporal or -Sergeant|
|IBD||Infantry Base Depot (often Etaples)|
|MC||Military Cross (medal)|
|MIC||Medal Index Card|
|MM||Military Medal, also Médaille Militaire (medal)|
|OTC||Officer Training Corps (corps)|
|QRVB||Queens Rifle Volunteer Brigade (corps)|
|RAF||Royal Air Force (corps)|
|RE||Royal Engineers (corps)|
|RFC||Royal Flying Corps (corps)|
|RH||Royal Highlanders (The Black Watch)(corps)|
|RoH||Roll of Honour|
|RS, R. Scots||Royal Scots (corps)|
|RSF||Royal Scots Fusiliers (corps)|
|RSM||Regimental Sergeant Major (rank)|
|Sec. Lt.||Second Lieutenant (rank)|
|Sgt, Sergt, Srgt||Sergeant / Serjeant (rank)|
|SR||Scottish Rifles (the Cameronians)(corps)|
|TF||Territorial Force (formed from VB in 1908)|
|TNA||The National Archives|
|VB||Volunteer Battalion (becoming TF in 1908)|
|WO||War Office (including record references), or Warrant Officer|
In addition there are various forms of rank in the Quartermaster function such as QM, QMS, CQM, RQM, RQMS.
I hope it will be of some use to those researching family members. Please be aware that there is considerable room for error in a list such as this, and sincere apologies are expressed for any errors that may be found.
Similarly, this index points at a lot of other people’s hard work, and their publications should always be viewed to see the information in its original form. If you wish something deleted, or would like an attribution changed, please contact me.
Corrections, clarifications and additions are all welcome to firstname.lastname@example.org
Commonwealth War Graves Commission
These corrections were submitted to CWGC in November 2019
- Campbell Duncan 352144 I, Queen St = 1 Queen St.
- Cantellow, Robert Richard is elsewhere Cintellow? (Medal Roll, Soldiers Died, Soldiers Effects, MIC)
- Clunie, WH. Graves Registration Report has WH Clunies, 11/RS and died 25.4.18
- Coats, John MacGregor I=1 Albion Place
- Daniels, Harry 350663 1 8 = 18
- Dickinson, Thomas GRINGLEYON-THE-HILL = GRINGLEY-ON-THE-HILL
- DONKIN, HARRY SEMMONSS = Semmons
- Durie, Alexander I = 1
- Aitken, T 351434, 1 19 = 119
- Anderson, Peter Hendry, IO = 10, Valleyfield. Note CWGC has sister as Snaddon, other records as Sneddon.
- Barnes, Ernest III = 111
- Beecham, Herman II = 11
- Boon, William 1 6 = 16
- Barroman, James C is correct from your GRR, but every other record I have of him is Barrowman.
- Ferguson, William Percival ‘AFTER SERVING G MONTHS IN FRANCE.’ should be “after serving 9 months in France”
- Ferrall, Crawford ROBERTSON”S COTTAGES should be ROBERTSON’S COTTAGES
- FORSYTH, JAMES ELLIOT I = 1
- Goldstein, S 352433, 1 1 = 11
- Gradwell, D 58917 I=1
- Hobson, H 351517 GO, TALGARTH MANSIONS = 90, TALGARTH MANSIONS
- Kilpatrick, J 3575 I=1
- Laing, William 2105 Pencaidand = Pencaitland
- MACDONALD, JOHN ROW MACKENZIE Thisde St = Thistle St.
- MACDONALD, N M, Private, ‘350294’ I=1
- MACLENNAN, RODERICK, ‘1834’ GO = 90, Blackford Avenue
- McDOUGALL, THOMAS, ‘351350’ McDougall and McDougal shown here and in GRR
- McKEE, W, Corporal, ‘350965’ I=1
- MUDIE, J, Second Lieutenant, Greece. Most of the information I have (London Gazette, St Andrews Univ RoH, medal roll) has him as Royal Scots Fusiliers and not Royal Scots?
- NELSON, JAMES MARTIN, ‘1651’ INVERLIETHEN RD. = Inverleithen Rd?
- NEWTON, JOHN, ‘200656’, III = 111?
- NORTHCOTE, A W, ‘302312’, 19, A/915 ST. = 19 Algis St
- ORMISTON, ARCHIBALD MURRAY, ‘350426’ IO4 =104
- RANKIN, R, Private, ‘51390’ II = 11
- ROBLEY, GEORGE, ‘270709’ II = 11
- SHARP, G N, ‘351496’ IO = 10
- SHEPHERD, WILLIAM ANDREW, ‘44141’, Bamfshire = Banffshire
- SMEATH, R, ‘350389’, Grave Registration Report has ‘Sneath’, but I see both names in use
- TURNBULL, J R, ‘351448’ = 351488? other records have the latter number (Soldiers Died, Medal Roll, Soldiers Effects, MIC)
- WILL, A C, Private, ‘28970’ ?Looks like this should be 58970 Arthur C Will? Graves Registration Report has A. Wills 58970
- WRIGHT, A G, ‘350234’, 363, EASTIN RD. = 363 Easter Road, Leith
David Callander looks like he was 7th and not 9th Royal Scots.